Saturday, February 26, 2011

Two weeks in...but don't call me a twoweeker











Hey hey hey. When I last left off, I was just delving into the world of full time employment again. A couple of weeks into it, I am know reminded that working full time unfortunately takes up most of your day time. BUT, it just so happens that my job is pretty awesome. Let me break it down:




1. I am splitting my time between trying to build a six person raft that will successfully navigate the Auckland harbour and working at rock music concert events put on by the University and our radio station. So, it could be much worse. I could be checking some one's data entry, like my friend had a dream about. Shivers.




2. I am commuting an hour each way into the city everyday. While just being able to roll out of bed would be nice, the fresh mountain air and peaceful trees of the hill I live on is breathtaking. I have a nice little routine down where I ride my bike 35 min down the mountain to the next neighboring town, then take the train into the city. Coming back, I bike UP the same hill, so I get the chance to unwind from the stresses of the day and occasionally mutter curses under my breath as I round another corner of the windy hill that refuses to end.




3. On my off days, I've been amusing myself by biking into the city. It's not too bad of a ride, only an hour and a half, or two back. Last Saturday I accidentally rode there and then was forced to ride back when all of the trains services had been stopped for the big rugby game in Mt. Eden stadium.




4. This last Friday was a big day at work. I spent my morning shuffling back and forth between setting up a resource fair, meeting the lumber guy with raft building supplies, moving 8 200 L giant barrels across the street, and promoting that evening's concert by doing all of this with a giant poster (that was not University approved) tapped onto my back. The fun thing I have been learning about moving large objects when people are around is that no matter how obvious it is that yes, in fact I am moving a large object and it would indeed be nice if you could not walk directly into my path, look at me confused, hesitate a bit, then walk very slowly towards me, it is going to play out that way EVERY SINGLE TIME.




That afternoon, my time was devoted to working at the concert. Part of job was to track down all of the bands and have them sign release forms so we could use their images etc. I learned that hunting rock stars is a tricky business. I eventually found most of them congregated around the buckets of beer they were supplied with (no surprises there). Since they were already signing stuff (and these were boring pieces of paper...) I also pulled out one of two custom made shirts that my co-worker had made with the awesome poster she had designed on it and got ALL of the bands to sign it. See picture. Most of the bands are up and coming, but to my surprise even the two headliners had never signed a shirt before. The Kids of 88 appreciated how the poster made one of their lips' look rather cherub like, while Zowie and I complimented each other on our brightly colored shoes. Also, Sam, one of the members of Computers Want Me Dead wins for having part of his signature be a drawing of a stinky hamburger.




Another part of my job was to go into the bar area with my co-worker and drink a beer so the concert goers would see people in there having a good time and then possibly more at home with the idea of parting with $5 for a plastic cup of Speights. For work? Done and done. And we made sure to repeat this action when necessary.




The day was long (7:20 am to 11:30pm), but was capped off in a very memorable way when two co-workers and I had to move a giant full horse sized fibre glass painted horse 50m into a building. Good way to end it.




6. I staggered towards my accommodation, my muscles heavy and my whole body feeling completely tired. My brain was a bit harder to call, because it was a bit less tired than my body after I had been supplied with a few free cokes. But, I had also tried to even that out with a few beers too. Hmmm. Upon letting my head hit my pillow, I was soon reminded of the fact that the room I was staying in was situated across the way from a venue that had another concert going in full swing. Damn. While I eventually drifted off to sleep out of sheer exhaustion, I was jolted out of my slumber at 5am by some guy standing below my window screaming expletives into a phone. From the side of the conversation/ shouting battle that I was privy to, it sounded like this other guy had dropped the ball...to the point that the guy below my window wanted to drop a wall on his head the next time they were unfortunate enough to work together. Ahh, the peaceful city morning.




7. This next week is full of two more big events: a battle of the band competition and another BIGGER all day concert in the giant park next to the campus. I'll be hard at work, but since most of the work will be music related, it should be more hard rock than hard work. (Ahha, and I will leave you with that groan inducing last thought.)

No comments:

Post a Comment